Meatless Monday: Spiced Lentil Tacos
Livestrong lists several health benefits of a vegetarian diet including, lower rates of kidney disease as well as slower progression when it already exists. This could be because vegetarians tend to have lower cholesterol levels and appear to consume less protein. In addition plant-derived proteins may stress the kidneys less than animal-derived.
Start off the week healthy with this recipe!
Spiced Lentil Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (use half for less heat)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 8 taco shells
- 1 1/4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and salt until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils and taco seasoning.
- Cook until spices are fragrant and lentils are dry, about 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix sour cream, chile and adobo sauce in a bowl. Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Mash with a rubber spatula. Spoon 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.
Recipe originally posted on epicurious.
Peace Grl Out!