Meatless Monday: Southwest Riblet Sandwich
If the global population shifted to a low meat diet that consisted of 70 grams of beef and 325 grams of chicken/eggs per week, about 15 square kilometers of farmland would be freed.
This new space could be used grow vegetation that would counter CO2, or to grow bioenergy crops that would displace fossil fuels. You can read more about how this kind of diet would affect farmland here.
Just by slightly altering a meal, we can make a world of difference. So let’s see what kind of meatless meal we can make this week!
This week’s recipe incorporates Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets, which can be found in the frozen food aisle of many grocery stores.
Southwest Riblet Sandwich on Toasted Sourdough
Morningstar Farms products look and taste like meat, but they are completely meat-free! All of their foods are delicious and easy to make – perfect for a quick and easy meal!
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 (1/2 inch thick) slices of sourdough bread
- 1 package (10 oz.) of Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese, halved diagonally
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices thin red onion, separated into rings
- In a small bowl, stir together butter and garlic. Brush one side of each bread slice with butter mixture. Place, buttered side up, on baking sheet. Set aside.
- Cook Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets according to package directions. Top each riblet portion with two half slices of cheese. Let stand for two to three minutes or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, broil bread slices 4 to 5 inches from the heat for three or four minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Top buttered sides of two bread slices with lettuce, riblet portions, and onion. Top with remaining slices of bread, buttered sides down. Cut into halves. Serve immediately.
Recipe originally posted on the Morningstar Farms website.
Peace Grl Out!