Meatless Monday: Spinach Tofu Quiche
We hope the first day of the week has been treating you well so far! As usual, here is our weekly Meatless Monday recipe and statistic.
About 200 studies have been completed that suggest that regular consumption of fruits and vegetables protects against cancer at many sites. People who eat higher amounts of fruits and vegetables have about one-half the risk of cancer, especially epithelial cancers.
Start off your increase in vegetable intake with our new recipe below: Spinach Tofu Quiche!
Spinach Tofu Quiche
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 unbleached white flour
- 2/3 cold vegan spread (e.g. organic Earth Balance brand)
- 3 tbsp. cold water
- Measure flour into a large bowl and chill in the freezer for a half an hour.
- Cut in cold vegan butter with a pastry blender or a fork until mixture is the texture of coarse grains.
- Rub mixture between your hands until it resembles corn meal.
- Add water bit by bit, mixing it with your hands until dough starts to clump together.
- Form dough into ball and press flat.
- Roll out evenly on a floured surface, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place in 9″ glass pie plate and crimp edges.
- Wrap and chill in fridge until filling is ready.
- 1 pound firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and chopped fine; or 16 oz. frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Table Blend spice mix
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tbsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and assemble ingredients.
- Place cashews in food processor or grinder and process until it forms fine crumbs.
- Add tofu and nutritional yeast and process until creamy, set aside.
- Add oil to a large pot and turn heat to medium/high.
- Saute onion for about five minutes.
- Add garlic and continue sauteing until fragrant.
- Add bouillon cube, marjoram, basil, cayenne, paprika, spice blend, salt and pepper.
- Add chopped spinach (or frozen spinach) and saute until the spinach is completely wilted
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together tofu mixture and spinach mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- If the filling seems too stiff and thick, add a couple of tbsp. soy milk or flour if it doesn’t hold shape.
- Add the filling to the crust and spread evenly and smoothly. Dust with nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese.
- Bake for ten minutes to set pie crust and then turn temperature down to 375 degrees and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a rack for five minutes before serving.
Recipe originally posted on Savvy Vegetarian.
Peace Grl Out!