Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Taco Salad
Happy Monday! We hope you are ready for our weekly Meatless Monday statistic and recipe.
A study entitled “Red Meat Consumption and Mortality” was recently released from Harvard and explores the possible effects red meat may have on how long a person lives. The study’s two main authors and a preventative medicine resident took a look to specifically quantify how much giving up meat one day a week could lower the risk of death.
Among the many numbers that were crunched, the study authors discovered that if a person removed one serving of red meat a day and replaced that same serving amount with legumes, whole grains, or nuts, then the person would have a reduced risk of death. Legumes reduce risk by 1.5%, whole grains offer 2.1%, and nuts offer 3.0%. You can learn more about this study and the exact numbers here.
To improve our health and help with the environment, let’s take a look at this new recipe: vegetarian taco salad.
Vegetarian Taco Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
Recipe originally posted on Eating Well.
Peace Grl Out!