Meatless Mondays: Arugula, Mozzarella, Tomato on Focaccia
It’s Monday once again – we hope you enjoy our new meatless recipe! It will be sure to start your week off on a healthy and happy note.
Take a look at International Justice Mission’s campaign for slave-free tomatoes, Recipe for Change. Think about purchasing your tomatoes for this recipe from supermarkets that have joined the Fair Food program to provide only slave-free tomatoes, such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, or shop at your local farmer’s market! You can also join the campaign to bring slave-free tomatoes to your local supermarket. This simple contribution can help to fight human right’s abuses around the world. Learn more from Recipe for Change’s resources.
Arugula, Mozzarella, Tomato on Focaccia
- 3 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups packed trimmed arugula, rinsed, spun dry, chopped coarse
- Focaccia bread, halved horizontally (enough for four sandwiches)
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, sliced thin (fresh is best)
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise (optional)
- In a large bowl or baking dish, combine tomatoes, onion and vinegar and season with pepper and salt. Marinate 30 minutes.
- Layer tomatoes, mozzarella, onions and arugula on the Focaccia half. Spread some mayonnaise on the top half of the Focaccia if desired. Press top half over the bottom, hold together with a couple of tooth picks.
Recipe originally posted on Simply Recipes.
Peace Grl Out!