Meatless Monday: Matcha Morning Muffins
Happy Matcha Monday!
According to the Healthy Happy Life blogger that provided this recipe, because matcha is ground from whole leaf green tea” you are in a sense ‘eating’ or consuming the entire leaf of green tea. In turn, you are getting more antioxidant benefits and the ‘high’ from green tea caffeine is released in a more even distribution – as opposed to a quick caffeine jolt and soon followed crash of energy. Matcha is also known for creating a sense of focus, calm – aka ZEN mood.” These muffins might just be a great yummy and healthy alternative to your daily dose of coffee.
Matcha Morning Muffins or Loaf
makes 12 muffins or 1 loaf or 1 mini loaf + 6 muffins, vegan, gluten-free
1 1/3 cups gluten-free sweet sorghum white flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1 Tbsp organic matcha green tea powder (*)
2-3 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp organic sugar (Florida Crystals)
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup orange juice (*see notes for non-dairy milk sub)
2 tsp flax seeds
2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp safflower oil (optional)
2 Tbsp pistachios (optional)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
* If you want to sub in soy milk for orange juice (gives a smoother, vanilla-ish flavor) you will want to add in a few extra tablespoons of sugar to account for the natural sweetness of citrus.
* I used 1 1/2 Tbsp matcha powder, but only do that if you like a stronger tea flavor.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Stir flax seeds into liquid – allow to sit a few minutes.
3. Mash bananas. Fold all wet ingredients into dry and stir until smooth.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes – or until edges look firmed. Loaf will take longer depending on size.
5. Cool a few minutes to allow muffins to set. Serve warm.
If you’d like to accompany your matcha baked good with a quick and easy matcha smoothie, here is a basic recipe.
1 1/2 bananas, frozen
3/4 cup soy milk (vanilla flavor or add a squeeze of agave syrup)
1 teaspoon matcha
1/4 cup ice (optional)
(I like 1 tsp chia seeds added too)
These recipes were originally posted on Healthy Happy Life.