8 Ways to Promote Literacy and Protect the Environment
In honor of National Literacy Month, help to spread world literacy and protect the environment. The following list will give you some ideas on what to do with used books laying around the house. Also remember to be mindful about where you purchase your books to find cheaper and environmentally conscious options.
1. Donate used books to a local library or daycare center.
2. Give a sick child the chance to escape to other worlds by donating children’s books to a children’s hospital, such as Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC).
3. Better World Books collects and sells books to raise funds for literacy non-profits such as the National Center for Family Literacy and Room to Read. Buy books, sell textbooks, or donate to help out!
6. Donate to the Children and Families Commission of Orange County’s Early Literacy Program
7. Exchange books on Paperbackswap by earning credits for every book that you send another paperbackswap member. Membership is free! There are many more online book swapping services such as Book Crossing, BookMooch, and BooksFreeSwap.
8. Purchase used books instead of new books, to support local book stores or online used book retailers as an eco-friendly alternative. College students, this is a must for buying and selling back textbooks.
Literacy and imagination are invaluable tools to instill hope in securing a peaceful and sustainable future. Spread stories, love ,and happy reading!
Peace Grl Out!