Meatless Monday: Hoisin Glazed Grilled Tofu and Asparagus
Happy Monday! A recent study from Imperial College London found that reducing overall meat consumption can prevent long-term weight gain. Improve your health by reducing your meat intake and having at least one vegetarian meal per week.
Here’s a recipe to give tofu a flavorful kick!
Recipe originally by Shape.
Hoisin Glazed Grilled Tofu and Asparagus
7 oz. firm tofu
1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha sauce
1 tsp. white sugar (optional)
10 spears asparagus
1/2 tsp. five spice
- Turn the grill or a grill pan to high.
- In a small, dry skillet over medium heat toast the sesame seeds until golden.
- Pour onto a plate and save for garnish.
- Cut the tofu block in half, then turn one half on its side and cut it in half so that you have two pieces that are about 1 inch thick.
- Save the bigger half for another use or double the recipe.
- Set the cut pieces on a clean paper towel and blot dry.
To make the sauce:
- In a small bowl mix together the hoisin, soy, Sriracha, and sugar. Set aside.
- Place the asparagus on the grill (optional: rub spears with a touch of oil) and grill for five minutes rotating the spears until evenly grilled.
- Divide between two plates. Set the dry tofu on a plate and sprinkle both sides with the five spice.
- Rub the grill with a touch of vegetable oil on a towel so the tofu doesn’t stick.
- Place the tofu on the grill and don’t touch for one minute so that it can sear without sticking.
- Turn the tofu 45 degrees to create the “X” pattern grill marks. Cook 30 seconds.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the tofu over and grill for one more minute.
- While it is grilling, brush or spoon some of the sauce onto the tofu.
- Remove tofu from grill and place on top of the asparagus spears.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce over each plate (you will have some extra).
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Pay it Forward!