Meatless Monday in Honor of Chef Jeff: Sweet Rice Salad with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Pecorino
This Thursday, February 21, Chef Jeff will present The Art of Appreciating Food & Wine – A Valentine’s Gift (For Adults)! So why not bring your special someone and enjoy an evening of food and wine tasting?
In honor of our new Chef Jeff class series, this Monday we bring you a delicious vegetarian recipe for Sweet Rice Salad with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Pecorino.
Sweet Rice Salad with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Pecorino
- 1½ cups sweet rice (also known as Glutinous Rice)
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ Cup Balsamic or Sherry vinegar
- Pint of cherry tomatoes, mixed red and yellow
- 1 large or 3 small eggplants
- 1½ Oz. of Pecorino
- Soak the rice in plenty of cold water for 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain and put rice in a large saucepan with 3½ Cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, and turn heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes until the rice is tender but not mushy.
- Drain the rice and run cold water through it to stop the cooking.
- Combine the minced garlic with a pinch of salt, add to a small bowl and add the vinegar and maple syrup.
- Stir to combine then stir into the cooled rice.
- Dice both the tomatoes and eggplant into a very fine dice.
- Add to the rice mixture.
- Shave the cheese over the salad and serve.
Pay it Forward!