Meatless Monday in Honor of Chef Jeff: Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges, Pecans & Scallions
Happy Monday! We are excited to say that another one of our monthly Chef Jeff classes is happening this Saturday, February 9. Join Chef Jeff and other aspiring, young chefs for Junior Chef Workshop (Ages 8-18)!
In honor of the upcoming Chef Jeff class, this Monday we bring you a vegetarian recipe for Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges, Pecans & Scallions.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeff!
Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges, Pecans and Scallions
- 2 lbs. mixed beets (red, yellow, Chioggia/striped)
- 3 oranges such as Valencia
- Bunch of scallions
- ½ cup pecans, chopped roughly
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ Cup Balsamic or Sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. If possible use a combination of beets (red, yellow, Chioggia/striped)
- Remove their tops, leaving about ½ of the stems, wash and put into a baking dish (lined with aluminum foil for easier clean up) with a splash of water.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until they can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Uncover and allow to cool.
- Cut the tops and tails off the beets and peel them.
- Cut them into quarters then crosswise.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil and add the pecans and the diced beets and cook stirring often until the beets start to brown and the nuts are fragrant.
- Add the ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add vinegar, maple syrup and the remaining olive oil to the pan and stir to combine.
- Peel and dice the oranges.
- Wash and chop the scallions using up to the pale green part.
- Add the oranges and scallions to beet mixture.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
Pay it Forward!