Meatless Monday: Brownie Pumpkin Pie
We felt starting the week off with a healthy, delicious treat would help to keep our sweet teeth under control for the week. We read this fact which helped spark the idea. “In 2009, the first study measuring the type 2 diabetes rates of vegans was released. It was a cross-sectional study and found vegans to have the lowest rates of type 2 diabetes of any diet group. Vegans had a 68% lower risk of type 2 diabetes than did non-vegetarians” (Source).
Recipe and photo originally by ohsheglows.
Brownie Pumpkin Pie with a Crunchy Pecan Topping
Pumpkin Brownie Layer
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour (other flours may work)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot)
- 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Pumpkin Pie Layer
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 & 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
- 1/4 cup earth balance
- 1/2 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a pie pan.
- 2. For brownie layer: In a stand mixer or by hand, mix together the coconut oil, pumpkin, vanilla, and sugar until blended well. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking, soda, sea salt and mix until incorporated. Take the entire mixture and place in pie pan. Wet spatula and spread around evenly so it is smooth.
- 3. For pumpkin layer: In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin, vanilla, and milk. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well until all clumps are gone. Now add on top of brownie mixture. Garnish with grated chocolate (We used a lemon zester to grate the chocolate).
- 4. For Pecan topping: Mix all ingredients until well combined and sprinkle on top of the pie.
- 5. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350F. Remove from oven and cool for 20-30 minutes and then move to the fridge to chill for 1.5 hours.
- 6. Serves approx 8-12 slices. Serve with vegan ice cream if desired. We love coconut bliss vanilla.
Pay it Forward!