Meatless Monday: Seared Tofu with Gingered Vegetables
It’s Monday again!
Each week we like to share a meatless recipe for you to try. Even if you’re not vegetarian, eating less meat can help your help and reduce your impact on the earth! Plus, with recipes as delicious as these, you can’t go wrong!
Seared Tofu with Gingered Vegetables
- 1 pound reduced-fat extra firm tofu
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup radish sprouts
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; let stand 10 minutes. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to rice; fluff with a fork.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and bell pepper to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup onions, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet with paper towels; re-coat pan with cooking spray.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tofu with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add tofu to pan; cook 8 minutes or until golden, turning to brown on all sides. Return bell pepper mixture to pan, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Drizzle tofu mixture with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; top with sesame seeds. Serve tofu mixture with rice; top with sprouts and remaining 1/4 cup onions.
Pay it Forward!