Meatless Monday: Portobella Mushroom Burger with Avocados
If you like veggie burgers or mushroom burgers, try this vegetarian burger recipe with portobella mushrooms topped with an avocado sauce. Portabella mushrooms make for a healthy veggie burger recipe for a vegetarian barbecue or cookout. For a vegan portabella burger, use a soy yogurt instead of dairy.
Recipe and photo originally from Avocados from Mexico.
Portobella Mushroom Burger with Avocados
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 4 roasted red peppers, from a jar
- Brush mushrooms and onion slices with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Heat large skillet or grill pan over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms; cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer mushrooms to plate, cavity side up; cover to keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook onion slices until golden, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine in small bowl, 1/2 of the avocado, yogurt, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; mash until smooth.
- Spoon onions and roasted peppers into mushroom cavities, divided equally. Spread smooth Avocado mixture on bottom of each bun; top each with stuffed mushrooms.
- Top with remaining sliced avocado. Cover with tops of buns.
- Makes 4 vegetarian portabella mushroom burgers.
Do you have a recipe you’d love to share? Email it to email@example.com! Enjoy being healthy and eco-friendly my friends!
Pay it Forward!