Meatless Monday: Tortilla Casserole
Meatless Monday is an easy way to eat less meat, even just one day a week. Eating less meat can benefit both your health and the environment!
And with recipes like this, it’s tasty and easy, too!
All recipe and photo credit goes to The Yummy Morsel!
- 4 tortillas
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium chopped green bell pepper
- 2 small jalapeños
- 2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can corn
- 1 cup picanate/taco sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups Mexican cheese
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 350 C.
- Heat oil in a skillet, sauté the onions and the bell peppers.
- After a few minutes, add the salsa, cumin, and sauce and stir to combine. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, chopped jalapenos and stir until incorporated.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Divide the mixture into 3 portions.
- Now, layer the tortillas and the mixture together by spreading one portion of the mixture in a baking dish, then covering with 2 tortillas over the mixture and top with cheese.
- Spread another portion of the mixture on top of the cheese, then cover with 2 tortillas.
- Spread the remaining portion over the tortillas.
- Cover the baking dish with a foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and cover the foil back and place in the oven for 2 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Remove and let it stand for a few minutes.
- Cut the casserole and serve with a scoop of sour cream and salsa.
Find more tasty recipes and tips at the original post!
Pay it Forward!