Meatless Monday: Smashed Sweet Potato Burrito
So you may have noticed that we share tasty, easy, and meatless recipes for your enjoyment! But have you been wondering why?
Eating less meat can have a host of benefits for you and your planet. According to Meatless Monday, “Consuming beans or peas results in higher intakes of fiber, protein, folate, zinc, iron and magnesium with lower intakes of saturated fat and total fat.”
But even if you’re a real carnivore, going meatless on just one day a week can still make a difference!
Smashed Sweet Potato Burrito
- 4-6 soft taco shells, tortillas or wraps
- 1 medium sweet potato, boiled until tender and drained
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa, cooked to desired tenderness
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- hot sauce, to taste
- Cook spinach according to package directions, pressing out any excess water once the spinach is fully cooked.
- Put the spinach in a bowl, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt and set aside.
- Sprinkle cumin, onion powder and garlic powder over black beans, stirring to evenly coat beans with spices and set aside.
- Peel cooked sweet potato and mash with a potato masher or fork. Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Combine sweet potato, spinach, grains and black beans in a large bowl, stirring to evenly combine, and scoop mixture into the center of the wrap. Drizzle with hot sauce to taste.
Pay it Forward!