Meatless Monday: Stuffed Peppers with Arborio Rice and Feta Cheese
Happy Monday! Since most of us are starting to get in the swing of things after the weekend, this easy preparation, meatless recipe is perfect to start off the week.
Today’s recipe stars the lovely, crisp bell pepper. According to Healthy Eating, Bell peppers are high in Fiber and Vitamins C and E (both of which bolster your immune system). They also state that bell peppers also reduce free radical damage, which can reduce the likelihood of certain chronic illnesses.
Recipe and Photo via All Recipes.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Arborio Rice and Feta Cheese
Ingredients (Makes 2 Servings)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio Rice (italian short grain rice)
- 2 Bell Peppers (recipe states green, but any color will work), halved and seeded
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Place the peppers cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and skin starts to brown.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato, and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon in the cooked rice, and stir until heated through. Remove from heat, mix in the feta cheese, and spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Pay it Forward!