Meatless Monday: Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Got the Monday Blues? Brighten your day with a dessert-like breakfast! Today we’re featuring a carrot cake oatmeal recipe.
We’ve all heard the phrase “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” but sometimes we’re too busy to make breakfast (or wake up too late). However, if it’s a “dessert,” who can resist?
Recipe and photo from TasteSpotting!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
FOR THE OATS
- 2 cups cooked steel cut oats
- 1 large carrot, julienned (we like the texture of thicker juliennes, but a fine shred would work, too)
- ½ cup water, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch cloves
- optional health boosts: ground flaxseeds, chia seeds
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING TOPPING
- ¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- diced fresh pineapple, toasted walnuts, raisins, ground cinnamon (and sweeteners, if you’d like, which we don’t, so we left off)
- In a medium saucepan, heat ½ cup water to boiling. Add julienned carrots, turn down heat to medium-low, and cook carrots until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir cooked oats and raisins into carrots until oats have been heated through. Add vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Cook an additional five minutes, adding more water if the oats get too thick. Remove from heat. (We stirred in ¼ cup ground flaxseeds and 2 tablespoons chia seeds for a health boost.)
- In a small bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth (we used a fork). Stir in maple syrup.
- Serve oats in bowls, top each with about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and garnish with fresh pineapple, toasted walnuts, more raisins and ground cinnamon. Add agave, honey or maple syrup for sweetness.
Find more great recipes by checking out TasteSpotting!
Pay it Forward!