Meatless Monday: Baked Sweet Potato Latkes
This week, we are posting a Meatless Monday recipe featuring the sweet potato!
Why this ingredient in particular? Along with being tasty, sweet potatoes can empower women and girls around the world! According to the International Potato Center, the sweet potato is an untapped crop that could potentially improve the nutrition, incomes, and food production for farming families in Sub-Saharan Africa, especially among impoverished women and children. That makes it a great fit for our October Outreach celebrating International Day of the Girl!
Recipe credit goes to Women’s Health. Photo by Romulo Yanes.
Baked Sweet Potato Latkes
- 2 pounds grated sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Drop by quarter-cupfuls onto the baking sheets. Flatten with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Find more recipes at Women’s Health!
Pay it Forward!