Meatless Monday: White Bean and Root Vegetable Stew
Fall is nearly upon us, and what better time of year for tasty soups? Plus with meatless options, you can enjoy a warm bowl of soup while also improving your health!
Learn more and find more recipes at Meatless Monday!
White Bean and Root Vegetable Stew
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 shallots, halved and peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 cup dry navy beans, soaked
- 2 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 pound celery root, trimmed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 red pepper, large dice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon or to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- In 3-quart pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add caraway seeds, salt, shallots, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add beans, carrots, squash, celery root, and red pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add vegetable stock and bring stew to boil. Reduce heat and simmer stew for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Root vegetables and beans should soft and partially broken down and stew should be thick.
- Add salt and lemon to taste. Garnish with fresh thyme just before serving.
See the post and find more recipes on Meatless Monday!
Pay it Forward!