Meatless Monday: Asparagus and Lemon Risotto with Arugula
With our Meatless Monday recipes, we hope to encourage you to practice healthier eating and also to learn about the benefits that come with a vegetarian diet. Some of these benefits include lower rates of kidney disease, better cardiovascular health, as well as a lower risk of dementia!
This week, we want to share this delicious, healthy risotto recipe! Risotto is a dish that has become often associated with high-end restaurants, but it is not too difficult to make at home!
The recipe and photo were originally found on veggiebelly.
Asparagus and Lemon Risotto with Arugula
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups arborio, carnaroli or vialone rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves, shredded
- 1/4 cup or more grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Place vegetable stock on a large pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- Place the chopped asparagus in the stock and blanch for about a minute (should still be green and crisp).
- Remove the asparagus from the stock and keep aside. Reduce heat and keep the stock on simmer.
- In a skillet, heat the butter and add the rice. Stir the rice on medium heat for about 2 minutes, or till it is fragrant (but don’t let the rice brown).
- Add wine to the rice and let is bubble away. When most the wine has evaporated, add one ladle of the simmering stock to the rice. Cook on medium-high heat.
- When the rice has absorbed most the stock, add another ladle full of stock. Repeat this process till the rice has cooked through (you may not use up all the stock). Check the rice for doneness as you go.
- When the rice is done, stir in arugula, parmesan, lemon juice, zest and salt. Top with the asparagus.
Pay it Forward!