Meatless Monday: Savory Eggs Scramble Stuffed Waffles
Happy Meatless Monday, friends!
Starting off your day with a filling, complete breakfast is something we are told over and over again is a necessity, but sometimes it is hard to do without meat. However, with this weeks recipe, whether your preference is sausage or bacon you won’t feel like you’re missing out!
Recipe found on happyfoodhealthylife.com!
- 1 envelope of active yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup of warm milk (between 100-110 degrees F)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 3 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- salt & pepper
- dash of chili powder
- dash of basil
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- 2 Morningstar breakfast patties, heated through
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- handful of spinach leaves
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the warm milk in a small bowl. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. The yeast should be foamy at this point.
- Whisk together the eggs and butter.
- Add in the milk.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt & pepper, chili powder, and basil.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, and add the liquid ingredients.
- Whisk until everything is well incorporated. The dough should form into a ball.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Divide into 8 individual baseball sized balls and let rest about 15 minutes.
- While resting, prepare all your “stuffing” ingredients and have them ready to place on the waffle dough.
- Heat waffle iron, and brush with oil or melted butter.
- Stretch the ball of dough out a bit and place it on the waffle iron so it covers the majority of it. Quickly place about a fourth of your eggs, sausage, cheese, spinach, avocado, and salsa in the middle of the dough. Top with a second ball of stretched out waffle dough.
- Gently close the waffle iron as best as you can without squishing it all the way at first. Let it cook for about 30-40 seconds before finally closing the lid all the way down. All the toppings will meld into the dough.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until your waffle is browned.
- Very carefully, with a fork or two, remove the waffle from the iron. Continue with the remaining waffles.
- Serve with ketchup or additional salsa.
Pay it forward!